I was right! Just wanted to get that out of the way. I predicted the Yanks would finish in first and they did. Take that Boston.
Now that I'm done gloating, let's get to business. The Yanks can clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs with either two more wins or two more losses by the Rangers/Tigers. It's pretty much a guarantee. Speaking of Rangers and Tigers, they both lost last night. Which means that the 2nd and 3rd seeds remain unchanged. I think the Yanks would prefer to have the Tigers finish 2nd and take care of the Wild Card winner (more on that later) in the short series. This way Verlander couldn't pitch games 1 and 4 and then game 1 of the ALCS. Facing the Rangers on the short series isn't that much easier with Cliff Lee starting games 1 and 4. . . Wait a second, Cliff Lee's not on the Rangers! Then the ALDS should be a cakewalk. OK, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.
Of all the Rangers's bats, only one has consistently hit CC and Nova (hint: it's not Josh Hamilton). In fact, it's Michael Young. Whereas some of the Texas Rangers have hit CC well, they've womped on Nova or vice versa. Young, however, has hit over .300 for both this year. As a bonus, he saw everything out of Colon's hand and is 3-3 against him. Small sample size, yes. But discomforting. The Yanks this year against the Rangers are 7-2 outscoring them 69-38. The biggest worry is not a Rangers pitcher but CC. If he doesn't win game 1, do the Rangers gain momentum? Will he be able to come back and pitch game 4 effectively? If history is any reference, then we shouldn't worry too much. Sabathia always seems to bring his A-game (or $152 million dollar game if you prefer) to the ALDS, going 2-0 in game 1 for the Yanks. Nova has really matured and been consistent as of late. I expect him and Martin to have a well prepared game plan and solid execution. At least this year, Robertson won't be giving up HRs to Hamilton. In fact, he's only given up 1 HR all year and that was in Baltimore, who won't be in the playoffs. I wish I could say Burnett wasn't pitching, but we don't know that. Even with him pitching, he won't be serving up 3-run HRs to Bengie Molina (with the SF Giants).
There's hope! I think the Yanks can make a serious run at the title this year. I foresee the Rangers in the ALDS. Yanks win 3-1. Then Tigers in ALCS. Yanks win 4-2.
Go get 'em boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment