Let's look at the possible match ups.
Yanks vs. Texas Rangers
With Texas all but wrapping up the West, we should expect to see Cliff Lee, Tommy Hunter, Nelson Cruz, and fan favorite Vlad Guerrero. And yes, that last series was saddening. But I don't see the division series getting too close.
Although Yankees fans are probably gonna have to wait a few more months til Lee is in pinstripes, and undoubtedly Cashman wants him here, we'll get a great preview of his post season fire one more time. As if the Yanks could only think of one person they'd like not to see in the playoffs while those World Series games replay on Yankees Encore, CC Sabathia poses the same threat to the Rangers. Of the three infielders that have faced him before, they are a combined 1 for 7. Kinsler, who hasn't seen CC before is batting .378 against lefties this year. The outfield isn't looking too sharp either, especially as Hamilton tries to recover in time. Even if he does play, there is no assurance he'll hit at the .361 pace he had going until September.
With Pettite back, you can expect him to perform almost if not as well as he did this year. He's getting old true, but that only guarantees that what he's doing is the same thing he's been doing all year. Too old to tweak his stuff or to develop problems with his pitches. If I were a betting man, I'd have to put the line down on 7 innings at least with sparse hits and leaves the game with only allowing 2 or less.
Burnett! Ah, can we have Nova start in place of him? I know his last outing looked great but he's so unpredictable. The only thing I hate watching more than him pitch is Javier Vazquez hitting three batters in a row. Nova, on the other hand, is sharp through the first half. I suggest Girardi pull him at the first sign of trouble. And trust me, you'll know when trouble comes. But if you can save the bullpen the first few games and have them cover the second half of a Nova start, we'd be in better shape than a Burnett Bummer. Of course that won't happen, but we're all allowed opinions.
Batting should offer a little more assurance. Against C. J. WIlson, the Yanks infield is hitting .286 against him. Unfortunately, the outfield can't say the same. But this was before Granderson found his groove. And I am confident in Gardner pulling it together. Though I should say, if he worked on his bunting a bit more, he'd be a much threatening player.
Tommy Hunter's last outing against the Yanks rendered a no-decision after 5 innings. He gave up 2 earned runs but struck out 8. That last number is daunting. Imagine if he had pitched another 2 innings? Then what, his SOs are up to 10.
Overall, Yanks take the series 3-1.
I'll get to the Twins scenario later.
No comments:
Post a Comment